The Downfall
Coming back to Singapore includes a veritable assault on the wallet. For indeed, after being away for most part of the year, shut away with books and notes and unreasonably expensive goods in Melbourne, returning to Singapore liberates the half-crazed consumer within me. Let's have a review of what thus drained - and soon to suffocate - my wallet of its life-sustenance.
First and foremost, let me introduce my new clanging and twanging partner, an Ibanez AEL40. I know my initial plans were to get me a Yamaha FG720, but well, things changed when I was in Swee Lee. Sure, I don't think I will be able to use the full functionality of the Equalizers and the electronics featured in this guitar, but with its balanced notes, clear and crisp singing, how can one resist it's serenade?
Then there is the bunch of games that I swept off the shelf the moment I came back to Singapore. In alphabetical order: Gensou Suikoden V (幻想水滸伝V), Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, and last but not least, Xenosaga III.
I wouldn't go into the details of the games, but I have to say that Xenosaga III made sufficient reparations to the disaster that was Xenosaga II. Sure, there are still things that leave the players wanting, but I have learnt to not anticipate anything for doing so would surely undermine the satisfaction of experiencing anything.


And yes, after my rather unfortunate encounters with countless of imitation Playstation games, I only buy original ones now. No I am not rich, and thus, this practice has rendered me of my holiday funds and comfort living. Sometimes, I wonder if I am economically suicidal.
On top of that, browsing through the newspaper can be a dangerous activity for me too. I am no aficionado for classical pieces, but I am still interested and piqued by the Guitar Fest that is ongoing this week. With the internet as my trusty psychic link to my friends, I managed to band together a meagre band of three people to attend a flamenco giant's recital. Juan Martin is the man's name and his profile is somewhat exciting to read. I can't wait till I hear his guitar. But that is more money out of my wallet.
The next is an event that I would kill to go. My favourite composer, Yasunori Mitsuda (光田康典)is making an appearance in Singapore with a Sydney ensemble that I have been supporting ever since they organised a chamber orchestra in Melbourne. Eminence Online is the name of the group and they specialise in game music, thus the involvement of Yasunori sensei. On top of that tantalising collaboration and new arrangement of favourites from games like Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Chrono Trigger, Yasunori is going to perform some of my personal favourites from my favourite album from him - KiRite. Beautiful compositions one and all, coupled by descriptive prose and awe-inspiring photographs. Aye, I did not take really good care of the booklet that came along with the album - I had to order it from Amazon.co.jp, but it was worth the trouble - but still, this is quite an impressive collaboration between three artists. It was so popular in Japan that KiRite was transformed into a 3 -day play, an event that I would kill to go, but alas, that was severely out of my limits. However, by the generous grace of lady Luck, Yasunori is coming over to Singapore along with the Eminence Online band, there is no reason for me to hold back. The problems that continue to nip at the back of my mind are these:
i) I am broke
ii) I am doing my NS, which requires me to be on the look out for insidious sabotages by superiors.
iii) It is on the eve of the eve of Christmas, and my friends might decided to do something crazy....
Anyway, for those of you interested, the official poster is here. Trust me, KiRite is an album worth getting.
::Reading:: Iron Council by China Mieville
::Listening:: Mr. Children - ALIVE


No comments:
Post a Comment