Tuesday, November 7

Metal Slug

This is an entry about invertebrates. You have been warned.

What do you first think of when you see the word, 'Gastropods'? A stomach? A garden snail? Or a platter of half a dozen of baked escargots dripping with garlic butter? For me, it was usually snails, until I met one member of the subclass called the Opisthobranchs: the faithful nudibranch.

Yes, it is all jargon to you, but the nudibranchs - as we all so lovingly call them- are also known as the sea slugs. They are also known as the gems of the oceans. And from the beautiful pictures that many have taken of these beautiful creatures, I present to you my personal favourite - Glaucus atlanticus - the Blue Sea Slug.

Glaucus atlanticus, the blue sea slug. Pictures taken from http://www.nudibranch.com.au.

It looks like something that is derived from science fictions or pluck out of fantasy stories, but indeed, fact is often stranger that fiction. These nudibranchs hang out in clumps of seaweeds known as Sargasssum, and unlike most other nudibranchs, the members of the genus Glaucus do not need to stick to a substrate to move. As you can see, they float above the substrate and basically just let the currents take them wherever it fancies. At the beginning of this year during my Marine Bio camp, I came across a book on nudibranchs and while browsing through the myriad of sea slugs, I came across a beautiful picture of this little dude.

If I would have a tattoo, I would stylise a picture of this dude and use it. Yes I know, I am a complete nerd. Point and laugh at me now.

Glaucus atlanticus (left) and Glaucus marginatus. The latter is a smaller species but no less ornate and beautiful. Pictures from http://www.nudibranch.com.au


Also as a justification of me setting up a blog (if there was ever such a thing or a need to do so), I set up this blog with the idea of recording my research progress next year. Although whether or not I might get into honours is still hanging in the air, but I am going to fight tooth and nail to get into the program. Firstly, because it is a step I need to reach my goals as an academic. Secondly, how can one resist not to work with leeches??? Well, even though that is still unconfirmed as well, but well, I have done the best I can and now the powers of decision is out of my hands.

So this is a little teaser on the little things I hope I will be working on next year, the snail-eating leech, Helobdella papillornata (Euhirudinea: Glossiphoniidae). The Glossiphonids are renowned for their parental care - yes, leeches have parental care too. Chew on that. I will write more about this dudes once I get my confirmation. Fingers crossed.

A brooding leech. These leeches laid typically 20 - 60 eggs which they tend and when the young hatch, they stick to the parent leech for up to 4 weeks. The young leeches will then feed on snails captured and digested by the parent during that time. The parent on the other hand, does not feed during that brooding period (Govedich and Davies, 1998). Photo from http://www.invertebrate.us


Reference (I heard groans and moans)

Govedrich F.R., Davies R.W., 1998, 'The first record of the genus Helobdella (Hiruninoidea: Glossiphoniidae) from Australia, with a description of a new species, Helobdella papillornata,' Hydrobiologia, 389, 45-49

For your entertainment reward, just scroll down and enjoy songs from Bonnie Pink and Hajime Chitose. :p Ta.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just want to say...that I don't like snails.
And snails without their shells are worse.
But although some species of sea slugs look like land slugs (hoho), at least sea slugs usually look quite pretty.

Chris Lee said...

Well, the entire Mollusk phylum is interesting to me simply because it is just quite mind boggling how things like snails and slugs are related to octopuses/octopodes and those ancient alien looking nautili. :p

Moola said...

looks tasty